Mentor a Modest Means Attorney
Modest Means Rules of Advisory Panel Membership
Article I – Purpose
The Modest Means Panel is a SERVICE of the UTAH STATE BAR that is specially structured to improve the availability of lawyers to those of moderate income.
Article II – Governance
The Modest Means Panel will be operated under the general supervision and control of the UTAH STATE BAR.
Article III – Conditions of Adviosry Panel Membership
- Utah State Bar members in good standing shall be eligible to register for the Modest Means Advisory Panel.
- A panel member may elect to mentor another attorney in any area of the law in which they have practiced for a minimum of 7 years.
- A panel member must attempt to respond to inquiries by attorneys in a timely manner as to not inhibit the case at hand.
- Panel members may not unreasonably refuse to accept a mentorship referral unless there are reasons for such refusal. Advisory Panel members are to assist attorneys in their representation of clients referred to them by the Modest Means Panel. This assistance may be in the form of discussing the steps an attorney should take in a certain type of case, answering questions the attorney may have, or providing any other guidance as necessary. Panel members agree, as a condition of choosing to accept referrals through the program, to limit their fees as follows:
|Income Level||Hourly Rate||Flat Fee|
|For prospective clients with an income between 125% and 200% of poverty level||Up to $50.00 per hour||Up to 35% of normal rates charged by this attorney for the same service|
|For prospective clients with an income between 200% and 300% of the poverty level||Up to $75.00 per hour||Up to 50% of normal rates charged by this attorney for the same service|
- There is no fee for being a Modest Means Mentor Panel Member.
Article IV – Operations
- Day-to-day Modest Means Panel operations shall be under the general supervision and direction of the Utah State Bar, Lawyer Referral and Information Services (“LRIS”) Manager.
- Referrals to panel members shall be made on an impartial, rotation, county-by-county basis.
- The LRIS Committee shall establish eligibility standards for persons seeking a referral to an attorney participating in the Modest Means Panel.