How to find/search for an Ethics Opinion if you do not know the name or number of the opinion:
The Ethics Opinion database currently lists Utah Ethics Advisory Opinions by year, beginning with the most recently issued opinion. The website is being updated to become more easily searchable. Until that occurs, here are some tips on how to find an opinion in the area you are looking for:
Google: You can Google “Utah State Bar Ethics Advisory Opinion” + other search terms to pull up relevant Ethics opinions. For example:
- If you know the rule: Google “Utah State Bar Ethics Advisory Opinion” + [the rule number]
i.e. “Utah State Bar Ethics Advisory Opinion” Rule 7.2
- If you know the topic: Google “Utah State Bar Ethics Opinions” + [key words/topics]
i.e. “Utah State Bar Ethics Advisory Opinion” advertising
Westlaw: Westlaw has all of the Utah State Bar Ethics Opinions in its database. They are located after each rule. For example:
- If you know that rule number, search for that rule. The applicable Utah State Bar Ethics Opinions will be listed below the rule.
- If you do not know the rule number, search in Westlaw the topic, search the topic + “Utah Rules” and in left hand box labeled “Content types” it will show related ethics advisory opinions under the heading “Administrative Decision & Guidance”, for example search: advertising/p “Utah Rules” and there are 13 Utah State Bar Ethics Advisory Opinions available to review. If you do not have a subscription that allows you to access the opinions, come back to this page and use the cite to retrieve the opinions that you want here.
Fastcase: Fastcase is available through the Utah State Bar Practice Portal. To access, please see the following steps:
- Logon to the Utah State Bar Practice Portal
- On the homepage, you will see a number of boxes. On the right side of your screen, directly below the “Alps” box on the homepage, you’ll find Fastcase.
- Click the “Access Fastcase” link.
- Once you arrive at the general search page, click on the blue “Browse Libraries” button below the search bar.
- On this page under the heading “Other Primary Materials,” you will see a link for “Utah Ethics Opinions.” Clicking on this adds the library as a filter to the user’s home screen. They can also be searched within the platform directly on the home screen by filtering results.